On 03/27/2012 03:42 PM, Justin Piszcz wrote:

Hello,

Had an inquiry regarding ns-slapd, was multi-threading always supported from the first public release?

Yes.

I’ve seen ns-slapd (an older version) sit pegged at or near 100% CPU utilization on a multi-core Xeon system.

Would like to know if you can repeat that with 1.2.10.4. If so, please provide platform and details, and a reproducer if possible.

I’ve read elsewhere that someone has seen it hit 200% on a 2 way Xeon system (from 2007)

http://www.mail-archive.com/fedora-directory-users@redhat.com/msg06164.html

Sure. Enabling a very verbose log level will cripple the server performance.

There are obviously other factors in terms of the DB, what you are doing, in terms of add or add+delete; however was curious if there was an a parameter or a compile time setting that enables/disables threads, if the default was always to use multiple threads(?) or is it the case that there are other non-optimized parameters being used that would not allow ns-slapd to utilize the other N number of cores?

The directory server does not know or care about how many cpus/cores are in the machine. It relies on the native threading library and the kernel thread schedule to allocate threads among the cpus/cores.

See
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Configuration_Command_and_File_Reference/Core_Server_Configuration_Reference.html#cnconfig-nsslapd_maxthreadsperconn_Maximum_Threads_per_Connection

There is also a "hidden" attribute nsslapd-threadnumber. By default this value is 30. You might be able to achieve better throughput for your use case by setting this to 2*number of cores on your machine. We would be interested in hearing your results if you try this out.

Justin.