On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 08:28 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Fri, 18 May 2012 13:10:43 +0100
> John Horne wrote:
>
> > As said, the images already exist and will be available to the F17 PC,
> > so things like using virsh 'dumpxml' then 'create' don't seem to work
> > since they are trying to create an image that already exists.
>
> Actually dumpxml and create are exactly what you want. You do the
> dumpxml on your current machine and the create (using that xml file)
> on the new machine (modifying the location of the image file in the
> xml if it doesn't appear to be in the same place on the new machine).
>
> The same xml files dumpxml print are stashed in /etc/libvirt/qemu,
> so you can copy them over from there.

Thanks for this (and Frank's reply). It was the XML file bit of info
that I was missing.

A quick bit of testing and it seems if I do 'virsh define ...' then the
VM XML file is recreated in /etc/libvirt/qemu. I can then start up the
VM with no problems.

If I do 'virsh create ...' instead, then it seems to start the VM, but
does not create a new XML file in /etc/libvirt/qemu. So once I shutdown
the VM, I cannot restart it again unless I do a 'virsh create...' again.
Using the 'virsh define' command solves this (as mentioned above).

Anyway, thanks. I'll make sure I have /etc/libvirt/qemu backed up, and
will use the 'virsh define' command to restore the definitions of the
VMs.

John.

--
John Horne                   Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287
Plymouth University, UK      Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001