Greetings.  I've got a new HP desktop system with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550Ti
video card.  The system came with Windows 7, but it has a second disk drive, on
which I was hoping to install Fedora 17.  I've tried installing from the Fedora
17 DVD but have had what is evidently a common problem.  I.e., just as the
installer appears to be about to launch into the GUI, the monitor goes into
sleep mode and never returns.

I've seen some discussion on the net about changing kernels, getting the
proprietary drivers, modifying xorg.conf, etc., etc., but at installation time
I'm stuck with whatever is on the DVD.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can work around this problem, please
pass 'em along.

Thanks.

-- Mike