On 09/09/2012 05:07 PM, Doug wrote:
On 09/09/2012 10:03 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
On Sat, 2012-09-08 at 23:39 -0400, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
On 09/08/2012 11:11 PM, Roger wrote:
Try gedit.

sudo gedit /etc/mfreshclam.conf
put a # in front of the word Example, a few lies fromt he top of the
file, then <crtl s> to save the file
Exit gedit and in the terminal type sudo freshclam and it will go and
get the virus files.
Roger

Interestingly enough, I don't have "nano" OR "pico"....when I try
either of those I get a "Command not found" message.....hmmm.....

EGO II
OK, you should be able to do this from a GUI editor.  I opened KWrite
and made my way to freshclam.conf.  I'm not sure how you would
proceed if you need to be root to edit the file.
It just never occurred to me that you could edit a bash file using a
GUI editor.  Someone will surely step in and tell me how to do it if
you need to have root permission to edit the file.
In the meantime, try it without root, and see if it works.  Just put
that # in front of Example on the eighth (?) line and save the file.
(You may not have KWrite--it's a KDE file--but there
is certainly some simple editor available on your distro.)

--doug

Even using GEdit....when I go to "Save" the changes I make to the text
document it's telling me I don't have permission to do it. How do you
access a text file in graphical mode with the "root" credentials?

Just become root (su -) and edit the file.

Several folks have answered this:  you have to access the editor
from the command line.  Even if it's a GUI editor. So if you want to
use gedit, or Kate, you'd have to go to a terminal, and become root,
either by su > password > Kate, or sudo Kate.  Then find and open
the file and edit it, and save it.It should save OK, since you were
running in root.

--doug

Yeah....I got this taken care of ....all is well....I was just confused for a bit...thanks for all the help!

EGO II