On 09/09/2012 01:22 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 05:12:31AM -0600, JD wrote:
On 09/09/2012 12:33 PM, Dave Mitchell wrote:
I just did a re-install of a F14 system to bring it up to F17.
I wanted to keep the separate /home partition untouched (i.e. keep the
data), but there didn't seem to be any option to achieve this in the
installer. None of the options seemed to be able to recognise or preserve
the partitioning info within the encrypted LVM volume (as originally set
up by the F13 installer, then unchanged after a F14 upgrade).

Am I missing something, or is this a bug. (This is mostly academic for me
now, as in the end, I backed-up, installed, and restored).

This was my original layout on a single disk system:

     sda1               ext4      500 Mb /boot
     sda2               LVM PV 113972 Mb vg_pigeon (encrypted)

     vg_pigeon:
        lv_root:        ext4    13024 Mb /
        lv_swap:        swap     2048 Mb (swap)
        lv_home:        ext4    98880 Mb /home

During the phase when all partitions are listed, select the partition
you wish mounted as, say...  /home
In the gui there is n entry where it says
mount as .. and you fill the blank..
Be sure you DO  NOT SELECT TO HAVE IT FORMATTED!!!
Perhaps I need to clarify a bit. Under none of the five-or-so install
options, did it recognise any of the partitions within vg_pigeon;
under the options that kept the volume group vg_pigeon, it suggested 3 new
partitions for /, /home and swap, none of which were the same size as the
original partitions, and *didn't* give the option of skipping formatting.

So at no point was a I presented with a /home patititon that matched the
alignment of the existing partition, and where I could unselect 'format'.

So, per your original posting, which shows

sda2 LVM PV 113972 Mb

vg_pigeon (encrypted) vg_pigeon:
     lv_root: ext4 13024 Mb /
     lv_swap: swap 2048 Mb (swap)
lv_home: ext4 98880 Mb /home

have the wrong values for fs type and partition size?
Could Anaconda installer be screwing up so badly?

Why dont you use the lvm and vg.... commands
to show some info about the volume groups and compare the displayed
partition sizes with what Anaconda shows?

Also, there is no option to skip formatting. Formatting is done
iff (i.e if and only if) it is selcted with some particular FS type).
If it is not selcted (left blank) no formatting will be done.