>/   I do always set that, yes, as soon as I find it, and it does
/>/  help; but I have yet to find it in Gnome 3 or xfce4. Anybody know where
/>/  it lurks?
/
I have not read this entire thread so maybe I am too late to the game.
If you are still looking at how to turn on the bulls-eye around the
mouse pointer
in gnome 3 it comes with gnome tweak tool.
Alternatively just use gsettings to turn on in gnome.

check current setting:
gsettings get org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse locate-pointer

Turn on locate-pointer:
gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.mouse locate-pointer true

Alan