On 06/17/2013 09:40 PM, Tim issued this missive:
Allegedly, on or about 17 June 2013, Kevin Wilson sent:
Hello,
I try:
  ping -R www.google.com

I get:
PING www.google.com (173.194.113.112) 56(124) bytes of data.

but the list of nodes does not appear, and I wait for more than 5 minutes.

Things do not *have* to respond to pings, so a ping can only test how it
responds to pings, rather than be a definitive test of being able to
reach something.

Correct. It is not at all uncommon to configure a system to not respond
to ICMP (ping) queries. Especially if you're a target like Google.

traceroute www.google.com gives immediately the list of nodes.

I seem to recall traceroute does, or can, use a different protocol.

traceroute can use several protocols. By default, it uses TCP port
33434, but it can use ICMP if told to ("traceroute -I").

Note that while the traceroute may return data, it's returning data
from each hop on its way to the target. The target itself may not
respond. In fact, it's very, VERY common for hardware load balancers to
block traceroutes. And if the target doesn't respond to a ping, odds
are it won't respond to a traceroute either. You might get to the last
hop before the target, but you won't get the target.