On 28.06.2013 17:21, j.witvl...@mindef.nl wrote:
> It surely works, but at a performance price. And the certainty that you have
> to enter the LUKS-key each time you boot.

Intel Sandy/Ivy Bridge processors and later (AMD also) have something
called AES-NI which significantly speeds up disk encryption. I haven't
done any benchmarks but I see no difference between encrypted and plain
LVM in everyday use.

User can unlock LUKS volume using key on SD card or any other media that
can be mounted during system boot. So no passphrase is needed every time
system is rebooted.

Mateusz Marzantowicz