On 21.07.2013 09:55, lee wrote:
> Mateusz Marzantowicz <mmarzantow...@osdf.com.pl> writes:

>>> BTW, conky also ignores an update interval specified for mail checking.
>>> I specified an hour and it updates every 10 seconds.  Maybe I'll write
>>> my own monitor so I do know what it does, or stay with xosview ...
>>>

>> Answer for all your questions is in conky's source code. In file
>> src/linux.cc, there is a function called get_cpu_count which grabs data
>> from /proc/stat . After this function you'll find several other
>> functions that open /proc/stat .
> Did you find an explanation for why it displays different numbers than
> top does or why it ignores the update interval for checking mail?  I
> thought it probably uses the same data sources for this information and
> didn't really want to look at the source code.

I can download source code for top and try to compare it with conky.
This is the olny reliable way to know the difference. I strongly
recommend that you check source code yourself because it's the fastest
method for answering questions not answered in documentation about how
software is designed.

Mateusz Marzantowicz