On 28/07/13 17:49, lee wrote:
Digimer <li...@alteeve.ca> writes:

On 28/07/13 11:07, lee wrote:
Hi,

how does one get a clean installation of Fedora?  "Clean" means that
only those packages are installed that are actually needed and only
those services are running that are actually needed.

You can do a "minimal" install and then install just the applications
you want. That will draw in the packages that those applications
requre only. That will leave you with the smallest install possible to
suit your needs.

There is something wrong with these requirements.  I don't need avahi,
for example, and it's impossible to remove without taking down the whole
system.

Like Sam said in the other reply; A dependency is not "broken" if the package actually needs it. If you think a given package is not needed, gather the reasons for who you think so and file a bug report.

To do a minimal install, when the main anaconda (install) window
appears, click where it says "Gnome Desktop" and scroll down to find
"minimal". Note that a minimal install is very minimal. Expect to take
some time to find the packages you want/need.

A minimal install doesn't have a gui, and I don't need a gnome desktop.
But if I did that, could I have installed what I have now without, for
example, avahi installed?

You said you wanted a "clean" install. It's up to you to decide what all you want, GUI or otherwise. I answered your vague question by giving you an option for the most minimal platform to start with. After that, it's an exercise for you to decide what else is needed.

--
Digimer
What if the cure for cancer is trapped in the mind of a person without access to education?