On 11/30/13 08:07, David wrote:
> On 11/29/2013 7:02 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> I should have said they do not thread with the original messages from poma
>>> and g. I didn't realize you were using stuff from AP. Nothing threads with
>>> those apparently ...
>>>
>> OK friends.....   I tested in the following manner to confirm what others
>> have said.
>>
>> First...
>>
>> 1.  Copied a message, using T-Bird's functions, from my home system's inbox
>> to gmail's inbox.  The message copied contained a References: header with 2
>> entries and a Message-ID: header.
>>
>> 2.  Used the reply function in gmail's web interface and replaced the "To:"
>> address with my home email address and then sent it.
>>
>> 3.  Examined the headers of the mail received it now contains a References:
>> header with 3 entries including the Message-ID: header info referenced in #1
>> and it had its own unique Message-ID:.
>>
>> Second I repeated the test but I used the "Edit Subject" from the drop-down
>> but I *did not* actually edit the Subject.
>>
>> When I Examined the headers of the mail received it contained *no*
>>
>> So, to me at least, it is obvious what is being done and causing Threading
>> Problems.  Deliberate or not, it is annoying and one would hope this bit of
>> knowledge would help people to avoid this situation in the future and this
>> thread will eventually expire as it should.
>>

> Perhaps it should be reported to Google (Gmail) Ed?

I don't think so.  IMO, if you're indicating that you're wanting to change the
subject it is like going off on a tangent and no longer relevant to the
original thread.  It would be overly complex for google to have to determine if
you've actually did change the subject line to then decide if it should remove
the References: header.

--
Getting tired of non-Fedora discussions and self-serving posts