On Apr 19, 2014, at 7:51 PM, Sudhir Khanger <sud...@sudhirkhanger.com> wrote:

> I am having a really terrible experience with Fedora 20 KDE on Thinkpad 420i.
>
> I installed Fedora 20 KDE on Thinkpad 420i, upgraded it to the latest and
> system freezes at the login screen. System temperature goes over limit either
> burning the system or shutting it down. Load average goes as high as 10.
> Fedora 20 is shipped with kernel 3.11.10 and I can confirm that I faced the
> problem on 3.13.8, 3.13.9 and 3.13.10 is a hit and miss.
>
> I have filed a bug but it hasn't cracked a noise at Redhat Bugzilla. No
> response either from KDE Mailing list here and this is my last resort before
> I might have to forcibly switch to a more stable distro like Kubuntu (and
> that would be really sad).

Though there may be a kernel issue, this sounds like it might actually be a
hardware problem.  Have you checked that your fan is functioning properly?  I
had a Lenovo
IdeaPad (still have it, actually, it runs Ubuntu) whose fan gave up the ghost.
$40 later and a few minutes and it was good as new.

The kernel can cause overtemperature, but the temperature/fan is usually
controlled in the BIOS.  Since you mention that it works when you turn off the
display manager..
that would make sense since on a laptop the processor actually creates less
heat than the graphics chip sometimes.

You might try it with different distributions just to rule out a hardware issue.

--Russell