On 05/28/2015 01:25 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 11:39:09AM -0400, Kevin Cummings wrote:
>> Seems like silly reasoning to me.  Why not just install it, so that it
>> gets updated during the normal lifetime of that release, so that when it
>> comes time to upgrade to the next release, it is already there and updated?
>
> What's the benefit of (potentially) all of those updates?

What's the benefit of *any* update?  Whenever they happen, the software
gets updated, so that when it gets used, the latest copy is used.
Whether or not the update is a security update, or a functionality
update, the Fedora mindset is to update your software regularly from the
updates channel.  If/when a new fedup becomes available, it will be
installed on the user's machine.

> Apparently this is, however, a moot point, as Will Woods, the fedup
> developer, just announced that it's going away. :)

And what will be the approved replacement?  fedora-upgrade?  The same
should apply to that.  Whatever the approved upgrade utility is, it
should already be installed on everyones machine (at least at the time
of initial installation), so that it is available (and up-to-date) when
the user needs to use it.

You can argue that not every user will use it.  I can understand that
argument, but it doesn't hurt them to have it installed, and it helps
those of us who will want to use it.  It should be a part of the base
system.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjch...@verizon.net