On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:06 PM Lex Trotman <ele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Auto close is not to save typing.

I absolutely agree with the above. However,

> The point of auto close parens and other brackety things is so the
> code remains likely to be reasonably valid whilst typing, so symbol
> parsers will still work.

I think this varies a lot depending on the editor. Some editors seem
to be affected much worse than others, and even in the same editor,
some languages could be affected much worse than others.

One thing I noticed about Atom and Visual Studio Code, for example, is
that when brackets are not closed, *some* of the highlighting still
works but some doesn't. Also, neither one can actively detect that an
open bracket is unmatched.

However, SciTE (which uses Scintilla, the same core as Geany and
Notepad++) DOES detect unmatched open brackets.

Even if you buy into the idea that closed brackets are to help the
editor work better, the increased inconvenience in typing is a fairly
high price to pay. Editors are supposed to work for *us*, not the
other way around.

John Y.