Hi Enrico,

Thanks - but I did run as root!

If you look at the script I posted, you will see that the third line reads:
/home/geoff/Build/geany/geany-main/geany-1.36# make install

It seems like the PWD was wrong. I tried running ldconfig from other places:
/sbin# ldconfig -p
bash: ldconfig: command not found
/sbin# cd /
/# /sbin/ldconfig -p>/home/geoff/test-ldconfig
1357 libs found in cache `/etc/ld.so.cache'

So one has to run make install from the top level / ?

Tomorrow!

Geoff

33 Ashbury Close, Cambridge CB1 3RW 01223 710582