On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 04:16, Frank Lanitz <fr...@frank.uvena.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 21.10.20 16:56, Rajarshi Saha wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using Debian 10.6, Geany 1.33.
> >
> > I use Geany to run various scripts by hitting F5. I am not sure what
> > version I was on before, but now suppose I have a script running. Then
> > later from the same window (instance?) if I want to start another script
> > and I hit F5, it kills all my running scripts that I have starter from
> > Geany by hitting F5. Usually I have two instances of Geany running and
> > trying to start a script from any one window kills other running scripts.
> >
> > To note, I can start a bunch on scripts together. Running scripts get
> > closed when I try to start another script after sometime.

Geany can only monitor one running process at a time, so when a new
program is started any running script must be killed before starting a
new one, depending on your theme you may notice the execute icon
changes to stop when a script is running, and changes back when it
finishes.

F5 just calls the Build->Execute menu entry so it does the same.  IIRC
thats been the behaviour at least since Geany 0.19.

Note that if the script is run detached it will continue to run as the
shell will start it and exit telling Geany its finished, so Geany is
not monitoring any process and does not attempt to kill anything when
execute is next activated.

> > The scripts usually are php scripts and I do my day-end database ops,
> > when the scripts get killed I have to open mariadb and monitor
> > processlist, wait for long running queries to finish before I can
> > trigger the rest of the queries.
> >
> > What can do to solve this?
>

> I guess this is caused by the fact that geany is creating a temp.
> run-script by default. If you are using two instances than those scripts
> might get overwritten by each other -- at least it's what I can imagine
> as a possible root cause. Maybe give it a try:
> Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Terminal and check "Execute programs in
> VTE". Given you have libvte installed on your system that should help a
> little.

The run scripts _should_ not overwrite unless `g_file_open_tmp()`
fails and creates a duplicate filename.

Cheers
Lex