On 16.06.21 14:25, Lex Trotman wrote:
Yes, but how do I find a server or servers and how do I choose?  With
IRC at least all that happened in the background.

You don't. A (pubic) channel is addressed like
#<channel>:<server> which can bei published and if federation is enabled, can be joined from every other matrix instance.

You even can allow other servers to proxy that channel. So let's say there is a #geany:matrix.org I can take it and register it on my instance like #geany:mtxsrv.org as well. So "my" users can easily find that channel.

Pretty cool ;)

Cheers,
Frank