Hey there,

Ray Andrews wrote:

>BTW, just to rant a little, not that there's any hope of change,
>Windows has us all so corrupted that we don't even know how much
>we've been ruined, still I'll say it:  Geany, like everyone else in
>the GUI computer universe, suffers from the idea that the more
>hidden things are, the better -- the more buried they are in
>sub-sub-sub menus the happier everyone will be.

Perhaps, but the way I see it, each program is the brainchild of its
developer or developers and is structured in one of these ways or a
mixture of any or all of them:
        * however it happens to come together as features are added
        * however the developer(s) think it ought to be
        * however  the developer(s) believe others would want it to be
        * however others have expressed wishes for it to be

It's also often tough to decide where certain features ought to be
kept and whether there should be repetition. For instance, some
features are buried inside of an editing interface, but are also
available via a checkbox on a drop-down menu in the main
window. Depending on how many features a program has, it might not be
possible to have them all offered as checkboxes on the main menu,
so decisions often have to be made as to which are most commonly-used,
etc., when determining which ones should be there. Geany's got a lot
of power and it's all got to go somewhere.

>I worked on a GUI DOS browser a couple of decades back and we had
>GUI configuration options, tick boxes and such, BUT all settings
>were saved in a single TEXT file, that you could edit as plain text,
>save, rename, restore ... easy as pie and TRANSPARENT.

You're in luck. Geany has such a text file. On my system (Kubuntu
22.04 LTS), it's the hidden ~/.config/geany/geany.conf file. You
may find it elsewhere depending on the operating system it's
installed on. I've only ever run Geany on Ubuntu MATE and Kubuntu and
that file has always been in the same place.

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.