On Tue, 25 Apr 2023 at 22:32, Georg-Johann Lay via Users
<users@lists.geany.org> wrote:

> Hi, i am new to Geany and am having trouble adding files to a project.
>
> What I did is to start a new project and then open files that I want to
> add to the project.  The "Documents" view then looks like
>
> Project
> +-- Makefile
> +-- main.cpp
>
> The files already exists.
>
> Now when I close a file in the editor view, it gets removed from the
> project!
>
> In order to open the file again, I have to do "open" and browse the file
> system every time.
>
> How can I add a file to a project permanently?

A Geany "project" is a different thing from a VS/Eclipse/Vscode "project".

It is essentially a named session tracking the files you have open
plus a few settings that can be project specific.

The "Documents" (__not__ "Files") tab tracks open files, so when you
close a tab naturally it is removed from the documents tab.

There is a File Browser plugin that shows files in the project
directory (by setting one of its preferences).  This gives something
closer to the "project is directory" concept that Vscode uses.

By keeping the Geany concept minimal plugins can then add more
capability to the "project" concept without fighting it, see for
example the "Project Organiser" plugin in the Geany-plugins project.

Cheers
Lex