On 07/05/2018 03:32 PM, Guido Witmond wrote:
On 07/05/2018 07:57 PM, Paul Dufresne wrote:
Oh well, I am like a returning Genode user, for almost ... one and an half year I guess.

I am glad to see that there is now an image (a USB one... I would guess it would not work on a DVD?).

I have downloaded it yesterday, and tried it on 3 computers (2 almost the same: Dell Optiplex 745, not sure the other is a 745 too). One of the two is my own computer, and I have try many BIOS config, but it does always do the same: show the Logo, screen become black for about 7 secs... then it reboots and loop.

Hi Paul,

Welcome back ;-)

I noticed the same boot loop on a Dell Optiplex 380. This one is so old it has a serial and parallel port. The serial port showed me some boot lines and if I remember correctly it was something about missing video card before the reboot. If someone wants, I can capture that serial log and hardware specs.

I'm not sure if the GMA 4500 video chip is supported by Genode, if you have an old VESA video card lying around, you might have some more luck on the Dell.

I ran Sculpt on a 6 year old Sandy Bridge Pentium (G620) with built-in video chip, that runs great, after some trouble with network and usb. Genode likes my Intel gbit Nic better than the RTL 8111/8169. I got some spurios hangs on the latter.

It also booted on my AMD Ryzen 5 system but it did not detect SATA drives. Nor did virtualisation work. Both Vbox and Seoul hang. Better than I expected but not usable yet.

Hope this encourages you to keep going on with Genode :-)

Cheers, Guido.

FWIW, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my AMD FX-based system mostly worked - the SATA hard drive wasn't detected, but the on-board (Realtek) NIC worked, as did an external USB hard drive.

I haven't tried virtualization yet (because I can't wipe the external drive), but I will try it when I can.

--
  John J. Karcher
  devu...@alternateapproach.com