Hello Zachary,

On 18.03.24 21:22, Zachary Zollers wrote:
Hello Genodians,

The last few days, I have been focused on creating my first Linux VM using
Seoul. I am happy to report I was largely successful, but have a few questions
after completing the exercise. The answers I get from this list have been very
helpful in getting through the initial learning curve, so thank you in advance
for your responses.

[1] While referencing the example Seoul runscripts in the genode-world
repository, I did not see an obvious way to facilitate direct PCI passthrough
to a VM. Is this supported by the current version of Seoul? If not, is it
supported by the VirtualBox port?

This is not implemented at the time being, neither in Seoul nor VirtualBox.

[2] Is there a good way to support a situation where only one client needs to
display and capture input. For example, in my VM scenario, I only care about
the visual output of the VM. I was able to accomplish the desired graphical
result by configuring a single nitpicker domain that had the entire screen area
and no labels. The only issue here is that the single client does not
immediately get input focus (I had to click to be able to type in the VM). Am I
on the right track here, or is there a better way?

It is possible to set the initial focus of Nitpicker through, for example, a focus ROM. An example can be found under[1].

[3] What purpose does the platform driver (os/src/drivers/platform) serve? It
appears that device discovery is done by either the ACPI driver or pci_decode
(possibly others). Is it responsible for delegating access? I assume access to
these is granted through an IO_MEM and/or IO_PORT session, but these seem to be
provided by core (not the platform driver). Any clarification here would be
helpful.

For the purpose of the platform driver, please refer to section 4.1.1 of the Genode Foundations book [2].

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode-world/blob/e1a0d1c9e3136b929ff6bf85b50c00f0a78a9d23/run/gui_app.inc#L110

[2] https://genode.org/documentation/genode-foundations/23.05/components/Device_drivers.html#Platform_driver

Regards,

Sebastian