Adaptive compilation is built on an interpreter that uses heuristics to
decide when to compile a particular function. If there were going to be a
"pure interpreted" mode, it would probably come in the form of overriding
those heuristics to say "never compile".
The original interpreter was a much less nice piece of code than the current
one, and it definitely won't be coming back. :)