On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 12:00:57PM -0600, Edgar Gabriel wrote:
> you are touching here a difficult area in Open MPI:

I don't doubt it.  I haven't found an MPI implementation yet that does
this without any quirks or oddities :>

> - name publishing across independent jobs does unfortunatly not work
>   right now (It does work, if all processes have been started by the
>   same mpirun or if the have been spawned by a father process using
>   MPI_Comm_spawn). Your approach with passing the port as a command
>   line option should work however.
>
> - you have to start however the orted daemon *before* starting both
>   jobs using the flags ' orted --seed --persistent --scope public'
>   These flags are however currently just lightly tested, since a
>   brand new runtime environment with much better support for these
>   operations is currently under development.

Ok, got it.   If there is some sort of setup before hand (in this
case, lanuching orted), then these independent mpi processes will
have a lot easier time talking to each other.  Makes sense.

> - regarding the 'pack data mismatch': do both machines which you are
>   using have the same data representation? The reason I ask is
>   because this looks like a data type mismatch error, and Open MPI
>   currently does have some restriction regarding different data
>   formats and endianness...

I'm just running this on the same machine.

Thanks for the quick response.
==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B