For lack of a longer explanation, let's call it "internal accounting
errors" :-).  In an attempt to speed up the TM launcher, we made some
changes in Open MPI 1.1 which ended up using the TM API the wrong way.
So it was clearly a bug.  It *might* work in 1.1, but I wouldn't
recommend it (i.e., it's a timing issue -- sometimes it might work,
sometimes it might not).

More specifically -- if it's working for you, then it will probably
continue to work for you.

There is a 1.1.1b2 tarball currently available
(http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v1.1/), and there are nightly
snapshots of the 1.1 branch available as well
(http://www.open-mpi.org/nightly/v1.1/).

You can see a full list of the changes in the 1.1 branch in the "1.1.1"
section of NEWS:

        http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/ompi/trunk/NEWS