On 9/15/06 10:36 AM, "imran shaik" <sk.im...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi  Renato,
>   thanks for your response.
>   Can you elaborate on this.?
>   I have few doubts as well:
>   1) OpenMPI runtime supports SGE?? Does it uses SGE instead of MPI runtime
> when it finds SGE running??

SGE support will be included in Open MPI v1.2, scheduled to be released at
Supercomputing in November.  As with any other resource manager, if you run
Open MPI in an SGE job, "mpirun" will automatically use the back-end
resource manager mechanisms to launch and monitor MPI processes (as
appropriate).

>   2) Is it possible to check point and run MPI jobs?

This is ongoing work.  Not yet, but we expect to have demonstratable
versions of this at SC (November).

>   3) Is it possible to add and remove processes dynamically from the MPI
> communicator?

No.  MPI defines that communicators are a fixed set of processes.

>   5) When do we actually need many different communicators?

It's up to your applications.

>   4) Is MPI only suitable for low latency communication in  a cluster
> environment?

Yes and no; there's a lot of religious debate about this.  ;-)  Certainly,
this is an extremely common environment for MPI usage, but there are many
groups who are interested in using MPI in WAN kinds of scenarios, for
example.

Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems