For OpenIB + GM you are probably going to be limited by the memory bus.
Take the InfiniBand Nic, it peaks at say 900 MBytes/Sec, the Myrinet
2-G will peak at say 250 MBytes/Sec.
Unless you are doing direct DMAs from pre-registered host memory than
you will not see 900 + 250 MBytes/Sec bandwidth.
The reason is that either you copy into registered memory, so the
copy is the bottleneck, or you register/unregister memory on demand,
which would be the bottleneck.

Good point, this may be affecting overall performance for openib+gm.
But I didn't see any performance improvement for gm+tcp over just
using gm (and there's definitely no memory bandwidth limitation
there). Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that message
striping was implemented primarily having ethernet interfaces in mind.
I.e. one does not need to bother with eth0+eth1 bonding for instance
and simply use OMPI to span them both. It doesn't seem to have much
impact when combining more "serious" interconnects. If anybody has
tried this before and has evidence to the contrary, I'd love to hear
it.

So the "solution" for micro-benchmarks is to register the memory and
leave it registered. Probably the best way to do this is to use
MPI_ALLOC_MEM when allocating memory, this allows us to register the
memory with all the available NICs.
Unfortunately, when it comes to using industry-standard benchmarking,
it's undesirable to modify the source.

I would also say that this is a very uncommon mode of operation, our
architecture allows it, but certainly isn't optimized for this case.
I suspect, the issue also may be of purely business nature. The
developers of BTL modules for advanced interconnects are most likely
the employees of corresponding companies, which probably do not have
any vested interest in making their interconnects synergistically
coexist with the ones of their competitors or with interconnects the
companies are dropping support for.

Many thanks,
Alex.