Dear Tim and Scott

I followed the suggestions made:

> So you should either pass '-mca btl mx,sm,self', or just pass
> nothing at all.
> Open MPI is fairly smart at figuring out what components to
> use, so you really should not need to specify anything.

Using

node001>mpirun --mca btl mx,sm,self  -np 4 -hostfile ompi_machinefile
./cpi

conects to some of the mx ports, not all 4, but the program runs:

[node001:01562] mca_btl_mx_init: mx_open_endpoint() failed with
status=20
[node001:01564] mca_btl_mx_init: mx_open_endpoint() failed with
status=20

It spawned 4 processes on node001. Passing nothing at all gave the same
problem.

> Also, could you try creating a host file named "hosts" with
> the names of your machines and then try:
>
> $ mpirun -np 2 --hostfile hosts ./cpi
>
> and then
>
> $ mpirun -np 2 --hostfile hosts --mca pml cm ./cpi

node001>mpirun -np 2 -hostfile ompi_machinefile  ./cpi_gcc_ompi_mx

works but increasing to 4 cores again uses less than 4 ports.
Finally

node001>mpirun -np 4 -hostfile ompi_machinefile --mca pml cm
./cpi_gcc_ompi_mx

is successful even for -np 4. From here I tried 2 nodes:

node001>mpirun -np 8 -hostfile ompi_machinefile --mca pml cm
./cpi_gcc_ompi_mx

This gave:

orted: Command not found.
[node001:04585] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file
base/pls_base_orted_cmds.c at line 275
[node001:04585] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file pls_rsh_module.c
at line 1164
[node001:04585] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file errmgr_hnp.c at
line 90
[node001:04585] ERROR: A daemon on node node002 failed to start as
expected.
[node001:04585] ERROR: There may be more information available from
[node001:04585] ERROR: the remote shell (see above).
[node001:04585] ERROR: The daemon exited unexpectedly with status 1.
[node001:04585] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file
base/pls_base_orted_cmds.c at line 188
[node001:04585] [0,0,0] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: Timeout in file pls_rsh_module.c
at line 1196
mpirun was unable to cleanly terminate the daemons for this job.
Returned value Timeout instead of ORTE_SUCCESS.

Apparently orted is not started up properly. Something missing in the
installation?

Thanks

Henk