On 7/17/07, Bill Johnstone <beejsto...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Hello all.

I could really use help trying to figure out why mpirun is hanging as
detailed in my previous message yesterday, 16 July.  Since there's been
no response, please allow me to give a short summary.

-Open MPI 1.2.3 on GNU/Linux, 2.6.21 kernel, gcc 4.1.2, bash 3.2.15 is
default shell
-Open MPI installed to /usr/local, which is in non-interactive session
path
-Systems are AMD64, using ethernet as interconnect, on private IP
network

mpirun hangs whenever I invoke any process running on a remote node.
It runs a job fine if I invoke it so that it only runs on the local
node.  Ctrl+C never successfully cancels an mpirun job -- I have to use
kill -9.

I'm asking for help trying to figure what steps have been taken by
mpirun, and how I can figure out where things are getting stuck /
crashing.  What could be happening on the remote nodes?  What debugging
steps can I take?

Without MPI running, the cluster is of no use, so I would really
appreciate some help here.

   1- Check to make sure that there are no firewalls blocking traffic
between the nodes.
   2 - Check to make sure that all nodes have the openmpi installed
and have the very same executable you are trying to run on the same
path, have all permissions correctly.
   3- Check to make sure that all nodes have the same interface, i.e. eth0 .

  That's all i can think of for very quick checks for now. Hope it's
one of this.

  Thanks,
 gurhan