Hi Jody,

jody wrote:
Hi
I installed openmpi 1.2.2 on a quad core intel machine running fedora 6 (hostname plankton)
I set PATH and LD_LIBRARY in the .zshrc file:
Note that .zshrc is only used for interactive logins. You need to setup your system so the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and PATH is also set for non-interactive logins. See this zsh FAQ entry for what files you need to modify:
http://zsh.sourceforge.net/FAQ/zshfaq03.html#l19

(BTW: I do not use zsh, but my assumption is that the file you want to set the PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH in is .zshenv)
$ echo $PATH /opt/openmpi/bin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/jody/bin
$ echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/opt/openmpi/lib:

When i run
$ mpirun -np 2 ./MPITest2
i get the message
./MPI2Test2: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory ./MPI2Test2: error while loading shared libraries: libmpi_cxx.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

However
$ mpirun -np 2 --prefix /opt/openmpi ./MPI2Test2
works.  Any explanation?
Yes, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is probably not set correctly. Try running:
mpirun -np 2 ldd ./MPITest2

This should show what libraries your executable is using. Make sure all of the libraries are resolved.

Also, try running:
mpirun -np 1 printenv |grep LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to see what the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is for you executables. Note that you can NOT simply run mpirun echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH, as the variable will be interpreted in the executing shell.

Second problem:
I have also installed openmpi 1.2.2 on an AMD machine running gentoo linux (hostname nano_02).
Here as well PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH are set correctly,
and
$ mpirun -np 2 ./MPITest2
works locally on nano_02.

If, however, from plankton i call
$ mpirun -np 2 --prefix /opt/openmpi --host nano_02 ./MPI2Test2
the call hangs with no output whatsoever.
Any pointers on how to solve this problem?
Try running:
mpirun --debug-daemons -np 2 --prefix /opt/openmpi --host nano_02 ./MPI2Test2

This should give some more output as to what is happening.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Thank You
  Jody