Automatically striping large messages across multiple NICs is certainly a
very nice feature; I was not aware that OpenMPI does this transparently. (I
wonder if other MPI implementations do this or not). However, I have the
following concern: Since the communication over an ethernet NIC is most
likely over IP, does it take into account the route cost when striping
messages? For example, host A and B in the MPD ring might be connected via
two NICs, one direct and one via an intermediate router, or one with a large
bandwidth and another with a small bandwidth. Does OpenMPI send a smaller
chunk of data over a route with a higher cost?

Because of this concern, I think the channel bonding approach someone else
suggested is more preferable; all these details will be taken care of at the
hardware level instead of at the IP level.
Thanks
Durga