On 12/19/07, Jeff Squyres <jsquy...@cisco.com> wrote:
> It's a pretty hazy difference; I don't think there are formal
> definitions for each.
>
> Cluster computing *usually* (but not always) implies a bit more
> tightly coupled set of computing: the app communicates and coordinates
> between itself more than your standard manager/worker computation
> model.  Distributed computing *usually* focuses on the manager/worker
> model -- send some work to anyone who asks for it and then eventually
> get some results back from them (or not -- then you have to send the
> same work out to someone else).
>
> But you can certainly use the manager/worker model in cluster
> computing, too.  Not all cluster computing is tightly coupled.

This probably is the same as saying that : In Distributed computing,
the member nodes are *not* dedicated machines solely for executing the
specific HPC task, where as in a Cluster we have a dedicated set of
nodes, specifically working on a particular task.

Correct me, if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Amit

--