Hi Heitor and list

For most problems FAQs page is very helpful:

http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=troubleshooting

Also, follow Ray's suggestion, and try to run the examples/hello_c.c (on OMPI source directory)
program on the two machines.

Gus Correa

Gustavo J. Ponce Correa, PhD - Email: g...@ldeo.columbia.edu
P.O. Box 1000 [61 Route 9W] - Palisades, NY, 10964-8000 - USA

Raymond Wan wrote:

Hi Heitor,

Heitor Florido wrote:

Hello,
I have built an application using opemmpi 1.2.8 that is a client/server
application that uses MPI_publish_name and MPI_Lookup_name to start the
communication.
This application works fine on a single computer.
However, i'd like to run it on 2 pcs using linux (ubuntu) connected by a
LAN.
If I start the server on a computer, my cliente can't find the name
published by the server and crashes.
What should I do make this work?
I believe that my application is correct, so I think I need to install some
other service to make MPI see the other computer.
[]s

Have you installed Open MPI on both computers? And can you run your application as a single computer on both computers? (i.e., each one working independently)

If you are concerned about your Open MPI installation, you can try some simple code from the web that has been shown to work to confirm that the problem is not with your application (I'm not saying it is :-), just suggesting that you should remove it from the equation, if you can).

Ray