Ralph Castain wrote:

> Thanks - yes, that helps. Can you do add --display-map to you cmd
> line? That will tell us what mpirun thinks it is doing.

The output from display map is below.  Note that I've sanitized a few
items, but nothing relevant to this:

[granite:29685]  Map for job: 1      Generated by mapping mode: byslot
        Starting vpid: 0        Vpid range: 16  Num app_contexts: 1
        Data for app_context: index 0   app: /path/to/executable
                Num procs: 16
                Argv[0]: /path/to/executable
                Env[0]: OMPI_MCA_rmaps_base_display_map=1
                Env[1]:

OMPI_MCA_orte_precondition_transports=e16b0004a956445e-0515b892592a4a02
                Env[2]: OMPI_MCA_rds=proxy
                Env[3]: OMPI_MCA_ras=proxy
                Env[4]: OMPI_MCA_rmaps=proxy
                Env[5]: OMPI_MCA_pls=proxy
                Env[6]: OMPI_MCA_rmgr=proxy
                Working dir: /home/user/case (user: 0)
                Num maps: 0
        Num elements in nodes list: 1
        Mapped node:
                Cell: 0 Nodename: granite    Launch id: -1   Username:
                NULL
                Daemon name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value: NULL
                Oversubscribed: True    Num elements in procs list: 16
                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,0]
                        Proc Rank: 0    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,1]
                        Proc Rank: 1    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,2]
                        Proc Rank: 2    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,3]
                        Proc Rank: 3    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,4]
                        Proc Rank: 4    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,5]
                        Proc Rank: 5    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,6]
                        Proc Rank: 6    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,7]
                        Proc Rank: 7    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,8]
                        Proc Rank: 8    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,9]
                        Proc Rank: 9    Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,10]
                        Proc Rank: 10   Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,11]
                        Proc Rank: 11   Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,12]
                        Proc Rank: 12   Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,13]
                        Proc Rank: 13   Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,14]
                        Proc Rank: 14   Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

                Mapped proc:
                        Proc Name:
                        Data type: ORTE_PROCESS_NAME    Data Value:
                        [0,1,15]
                        Proc Rank: 15   Proc PID: 0     App_context
                        index: 0

Note that technically this machine was not oversubscribed, though I
appreciate OMPI might not have any easy way to tell that without a
hostfile, etc.
--
  V. Ram
  v_r_...@fastmail.fm