FWIW, the README describes some of the Fortran issues:

- Open MPI will build bindings suitable for all common forms of
  Fortran 77 compiler symbol mangling on platforms that support it
  (e.g., Linux).  On platforms that do not support weak symbols (e.g.,
  OS X), Open MPI will build Fortran 77 bindings just for the compiler
  that Open MPI was configured with.

  Hence, on platforms that support it, if you configure Open MPI with
  a Fortran 77 compiler that uses one symbol mangling scheme, you can
  successfully compile and link MPI Fortran 77 applications with a
  Fortran 77 compiler that uses a different symbol mangling scheme.

  NOTE: For platforms that support the multi-Fortran-compiler bindings
  (i.e., weak symbols are supported), due to limitations in the MPI
  standard and in Fortran compilers, it is not possible to hide these
  differences in all cases.  Specifically, the following two cases may
  not be portable between different Fortran compilers:

  1. The C constants MPI_F_STATUS_IGNORE and MPI_F_STATUSES_IGNORE
     will only compare properly to Fortran applications that were
     created with Fortran compilers that that use the same
     name-mangling scheme as the Fortran compiler that Open MPI was
     configured with.

  2. Fortran compilers may have different values for the logical
     .TRUE. constant.  As such, any MPI function that uses the Fortran
     LOGICAL type may only get .TRUE. values back that correspond to
     the the .TRUE. value of the Fortran compiler that Open MPI was
     configured with.  Note that some Fortran compilers allow forcing
     .TRUE. to be 1 and .FALSE. to be 0.  For example, the Portland
     Group compilers provide the "-Munixlogical" option, and Intel
     compilers (version >= 8.) provide the "-fpscomp logicals" option.

  You can use the ompi_info command to see the Fortran compiler that
  Open MPI was configured with.