Harold --

Along those lines, would you mind downloading a nightly trunk tarball and giving it a whirl to see if the IOF patch we have soaking does fix the problem in your environment? Part of the difficulty we've had in testing the patch is that the problem was only intermittently repeatable on some machines in some environments.

    http://www.open-mpi.org/nightly/trunk/