Open MPI requires that each MPI process be able to connect to any other MPI process in the same job with random TCP ports. It is usually easiest to leave the firewall off, or setup trust relationships between your cluster nodes.

On May 12, 2009, at 6:04 AM, feng chen wrote:

thanks a lot. firewall it is.. It works with firewall's off, while that brings another questions from me. Is there anyway we can run mpirun while firwall 's on? If yes, how do we setup firewall or iptables?

thank you

From: Micha Feigin <mi...@post.tau.ac.il>
To: us...@open-mpi.org
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 4:30:30 AM
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] mpirun fails on remote applications

On Tue, 12 May 2009 11:54:57 +0300
Lenny Verkhovsky <lenny.verkhov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> sounds like firewall problems to or from anfield04.
> Lenny,
>
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 8:18 AM, feng chen <fch6...@yahoo.com> wrote:

I'm having a similar problem, not sure if it's related (gave up for the moment
on 1.3+ openmpi, 1.2.8 works fine nothing above that).

1. Try taking down the firewall and see if it works
2. Make sure that passwordless ssh is working (not sure if it's needed for all
things but still ...)
3. can you test it maybe with openmpi 1.2.8?
4. also, does posting the job in the other direction work? (4 -> 5 instead of 5 -> 4)
[fch6699@anfield04 test]$ mpirun -host anfield05 -np 4 ./hello

>From what it seems on my cluster for my specific problem is that machines have different addresses based on which machine you are connecting from (they are connected directly to each other, not through a switch with a central name server), and name lookup seems to happen on the master instead of the client
node so it is getting the wrong address.