Hi Vitorio,

Thanks for getting back to me!  My hostfile is

xserve01.local max-slots=8
xserve02.local max-slots=8
xserve03.local max-slots=8
xserve04.local max-slots=8

I've now checked, and this seems to work fine just using ssh. i.e. if I turn off the Xgrid queue manager I can submit jobs manually to the appropriate nodes using --hosts.

However, I'd really like to use Xgrid as my queue manager as it is already set up (though I'll happily take hints on how to set up other queue managers on an OS X cluster).

So you have 4 nodes each one with 2 processors, each processor 4- core - quad-core.
So you have capacity for 32 process in parallel.

The new Xeon chips designate 2-processes per core, though at a reduced clock rate. This means that Xgrid believes I have 16 processors/ node. For large jobs I expect that to be useful, but for my more modest jobs I really only want 8 processes/node.

It appears that the default way xgrid assigns the jobs is to fill all 16 slots on one node before moving to the next. OpenMPI doesn't appear to look at the hostfile configuration when using Xgrid, so it makes it hard for me to deprecate this behaviour.

Thanks,  Jody

I think that only using the hostfile is enough is how I use. If you to specify a specific host or a different sequence, the mpirun will obey the host sequence in your hostfile to start the process, also can you put how you configured your host files ? I'm asking this because you should have something like:
# This is an example hostfile. Comments begin with
# #
# The following node is a single processor machine:
foo.example.com
# The following node is a dual-processor machine:
bar.example.com slots=2
# The following node is a quad-processor machine, and we absolutely
# want to disallow over-subscribing it:
yow.example.com slots=4 max-slots=4
so in your case like mine you should have something like:
your.hostname.domain slots=8 max-slots=8 # for each node

I hope this will help you.
Regards.
Vitorio.