I'm way behind on my mail; apologies for the delay in replying.

Did you figure this out?

As a pure guess, it sounds like you have a heterogeneous setup -- nodes have different distros and/or versions. As such, your glibc's may be different, etc. In such situations, it is definitely recommended to have a separate installation of Open MPI *on each node* (i.e., compiled/built for that distro/version/platform).

If you're copying the files from system A to system B and A and B are different distros/versions, it could be a good reason why it fails to work.

Hope that helps.