Open MPI is installed by the distro with headers in /usr/include

  $ mpif90 -showme:compile -I/some/special/path
  -I/usr/include -pthread -I/usr/lib/openmpi -I/some/special/path

Here's why it's a problem:

HDF5 is also installed in /usr with modules at /usr/include/h5*.mod.  A
new HDF5 cannot be compiled using the wrappers because it will always
resolve the USE statements to /usr/include which is binary-incompatible
with the the new version (at a minimum, they "fixed" the size of an
argument to H5Lget_info_f between 1.8.3 and 1.8.4).

To build the library, the current choices are

  (a) get rid of the system copy before building
  (b) not use mpif90 wrapper

I just checked that MPICH2 wrappers consistently put command-line args
before the wrapper args.

Jed