I would be happy to help troubleshoot, but I am not much of a programmer to
know how. The hang is reproducible, and -mca btl ^sm is about 15% faster.

if you want to shoot me some instructions off list, I can give it a go.

The application that I am working with, primarily, is ABySS:
http://www.bcgsc.ca/platform/bioinfo/software/abyss

Matt