I am not able to reproduce this problem with the 1.4 branch using a hostfile, and node configuration like you mentioned.

I suspect that the error is caused by a failed local checkpoint. The error message is triggered when the global coordinator (located in 'mpirun') tries to read the metadata written by the application in the local snapshot. If the global coordinator cannot properly read the metadata, then it will print a variety of error messages depending on what is going wrong.

If these are the only two errors produced, then this typically means that the local metadata file has been found, but is empty/corrupted. Can you send me the contents of the local checkpoint metadata file: shell$ cat GLOBAL_SNAPSHOT_DIR/ompi_global_snapshot_YYY.ckpt/0/ opal_snapshot_0.ckpt/snapshot_meta.data

It should look something like:
---------------------------------
#
# PID: 23915
# Component: blcr
# CONTEXT: ompi_blcr_context.23915

It may also help to see the following metadata file as well:
shell$ cat GLOBAL_SNAPSHOT_DIR/ompi_global_snapshot_YYY.ckpt/ global_snapshot_meta.data

If there are other errors printed by the process, that would potentially indicate a different problem. So if there are, let me know.

This error message should be a bit more specific about which process checkpoint is causing the problem, and what the this usually indicates. I filed a bug to cleanup the error:

-- Josh