On 28 Jan 2010, at 21:04, DevL wrote:

> Hi,
> it looks that there is an issue with totalview and
> openmpi
>
> message queue just empty and output shows:
> WARNING: Field mtc_ndims_or_nnodes of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not
> found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_dims_or_index of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_periods_or_edges of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not
> found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_reorder of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_ndims_or_nnodes of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not
> found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_dims_or_index of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_periods_or_edges of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not
> found!
> WARNING: Field mtc_reorder of type mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t not found!
> [
>  (Open MPI) 1.4a1r21427
> and
> totalview.8.7.0-7/linux-x86-64
>
> is this a known issue?

I've not seen it before but I do know of problems with the
mca_topo_base_comm_1_0_0_t type and the debugger plugin (which TotalView is
calling).

> and if so - how to overcome it ?

I'm afraid I don't know.

The Debugger plugin looks for the type (it's a struct) and then looks for some
offsets within the struct.  I've seen it fail to find the struct completely
whereas this error appears to claim it can't find the entries within the
struct.  Perhaps the difference is that I found the problem using padb and you
are using TotalView.

You could try the attached patch which allows the code to continue if the type
isn't found, if you are seeing a different symptom of the same error then it
might work for you.

As to the cause I've no idea, I've only seen it once or twice in the last six
months and not on installations I've installed myself, I've never been able to
find out the underlying cause and why some machines report this error and some
don't.

Ashley,

--

Ashley Pittman, Bath, UK.