Let me see if I understand your question. You want to launch an initial MPI
code using mpirun or as a singleton. This code will then determine available
resources and use MPI_Comm_spawn to launch the "real" MPI job.

Correct?

If so, then yes - you can do that. When you do the comm_spawn, you need to
include an MPI_Info key of "add-host" that specifies the host(s)
(comma-delimited list) to be used for launching the specified app. Or you can
do "add-hostfile" - either or both are supported.