On Mar 3, 2010, at 3:42 PM, Fernando Lemos wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Joshua Hursey <jjhur...@open-mpi.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Yes, ompi-restart should be printing a helpful message and exiting normally.
>> Thanks for the bug report. I believe that I have seen and fixed this on a
>> development branch making its way to the trunk. I'll make sure to move the
>> fix to the 1.4 series once it has been applied to the trunk.
>>
>> I filed a ticket on this if you wanted to track the issue.
>>  https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/ticket/2329
>
> Ah, that's great. Just wondering, do you have any idea why blcr-util
> is required? That package only contains the cr_* binaries (cr_restart,
> cr_checkpoint, cr_run) and some docs (manpages, changelog, etc.). I've
> filled a Debian bug (#572229) about making openmpi-checkpoint depend
> on blcr-util, but the package maintainer told me he found it unusual
> that ompi-restart would depend on the cr_* binaries since libcr
> supposedly provides all the functionality ompi-restart needs.
>
> I'm about to compile OpenMPI in debug mode and take a look at the
> backtrace to see if I can understand what's going on.
>
> Btw, this is the list of files in the blcr-util package:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/amd64/blcr-util/filelist . As you can
> see, only cr_* binaries and docs.

Open MPI currently calls 'cr_restart' for each process it restarts, exec'ed
from the 'opal-restart' binary (LAM/MPI also used cr_restart directly, in case
anyone is interested). We use the internal library interface for checkpoint,
but not restarting at this time.

If I recall correctly, it wasn't until relatively recently that BLCR added the
ability to restart a process from a library call. We have not put in the code
to use this functionality (though all of the framework interfaces are in place
to do so). On my development branch I will add the ability to use the BLCR
library interface if available. That functionality will not likely make it to
the v1.4 release series since it is not really a bug fix, but I will plan on
including it in the v1.5 and later releases. And just so I don't lose track of
it, I created an enhancement ticket for this:

Cheers,
Josh