There is some overhead involved when activating the current C/R functionality
in Open MPI due to the wrapping of the internal point-to-point stack. The
wrapper (CRCP framework) tracks the signature of each message (not the buffer,
so constant time for any size MPI message) so that when we need to quiesce the
network we know of all the outstanding messages that need to be drained.

So there is an overhead, but it should not be as significant as you have
mentioned. I looked at some of the performance aspects in the paper at the link
below:
  http://www.open-mpi.org/papers/hpdc-2009/
Though I did not look at HPL explicitly in this paper (just NPB, GROMACS, and
NetPipe), I have in testing and the time difference was definitely not 2x
(cannot recall the exact differences at the moment).

Can you tell me a bit about your setup:
 - What version of Open MPI are you using?
 - What configure options are you using?
 - What MCA parameters are you using?
 - Are you building from a release tarball or a SVN checkout?

-- Josh