Thanks Ashley, that did work, though I must say that %define __strip /bin/true is NOT very intuitive!

I did get my symbols in the needed libraries, but unfortunately, at least for the compiler I used to build, I still have a typedef undefined, and that also prevents that method of launching TV. But we have our own workarounds for that.
Cheers,
PeterT

Ashley Pittman wrote:
This is a standard rpm feature although like most things it can be disabled.

According to this mail and it's replies the two %defines below will prevent
striping and the building of debuginfo rpms.

http://lists.rpm.org/pipermail/rpm-list/2009-January/000122.html

%define debug_package %{nil}
%define __strip /bin/true

Ashley.