We've had a couple of reports of users trying to debug with Open MPI and TotalView on Darwin and not being able to use the classic

mpirun -tv -np 4 ./foo

launch.  The typical problem shows up as something like

Can't find typedef for MPIR_PROCDESC

and then TotalView can't attach to the spawned processes. While the Open MPI build may correctly compile the needed files with -g, the problem arises in that the DWARF info on Darwin is kept in the .o files. If these files are kept around, we might be able to find that info and be happy debugging. But if they are deleted after the build, or things are moved around, then we are unable to locate the .o files containing the debug info, and no one is pleased. It was suggested by our CTO that if these files were compiled as to produce STABS debug info, rather than DWARF, then the debug info would be copied into the executables and shared libraries, and we would then be able to debug with Open MPI without a problem. I'm not sure if this is the best place to offer that suggestion, but I imagine it's not a bad place to start. ;-)

Regards,
Peter Thompson