Had to go back into the deep, dark archives and look at the source code to
address this. :-)

Your understanding is correct - ompi should see those envars and automatically
use xgrid.

I don't see anything in the source code beyond those variables described in the
reference you provided. You could try setting OMPI_MCA_pls=xgrid and
OMPI_MCA_ras=xgrid in the environment to force the use of xgrid, though it
should automatically pick it up as you say.

I don't see anything in the source that applies to setting a grid id. In the
connection setup, I do see we tell it to use the default port number, which may
translate under-their-covers to a grid id (I couldn't find anything in the
xgrid docs that stated either way).

Afraid we can't test it any more as none of the developers has access to an
xgrid server :-(

Been trying to rectify that as we would like to restore support, but so far no
joy...