Hi Ralph,
sorry for the late response, but I couldn't find free time to play
with this. Finally I've applied the patch you prepared. I've launched
my processes in the way you've described and I think it's working as
you expected. None of my processes runs the orted daemon and they can
perform MPI operations. Unfortunately I'm still hitting the 65
processes issue :(
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I attach my source code. If anybody could have a look on this, I would
be grateful.

When I run that code with clients_count <= 65 everything works fine:
all the processes create a common grid, exchange some information and
disconnect.
When I set clients_count > 65 the 66th process crashes on
MPI_Comm_connect (segmentation fault).

Another thing I would like to know is if it's normal that any of my
processes when calling MPI_Comm_connect or MPI_Comm_accept when the
other side is not ready, is eating up a full CPU available.

Any help would be appreciated,
Grzegorz Maj