Ralph,

i was able to test the generic module and it seems to be working.

one question tho, the function orte_ess_generic_component_query in
"orte/mca/ess/generic/ess_generic_component.c" calls getenv with the
argument "OMPI_MCA_enc", which seems to cause the module to fail to
load. shouldnt it be "OMPI_MCA_ess" ?

    /* only pick us if directed to do so */
    if (NULL != (pick = getenv("OMPI_MCA_env")) &&
                 0 == strcmp(pick, "generic")) {
        *priority = 1000;
        *module = (mca_base_module_t *)&orte_ess_generic_module;

p.